What is Smiley Pancake Day?
Mental Health Ireland promotes positive mental health and what better way to do that than with a smile. We are inviting you with your colleagues, friends and family to make your pancake smile on Pancake Tuesday and text MHI to 50300 to donate €4 to Mental Health Ireland.
We ask everyone eating a pancake on Pancake Tuesday to have a bit of fun and dress it with a smile. To get involved in the #smileypancake campaign…
- Make or buy your pancake…. We won’t judge either way!
- Make your pancake smile using fruit, Nutella, peanut butter, savoury fillings… the list is endless…. Get creative!
- Post a photo of your #smileypancake to social media with the all-important #smileypancake hashtag.
- Donate what you can to Mental Health Ireland via text (Text MHI to 50300) or in a donation box.
If you are hosting a Smiley Pancake event virtually with colleagues, friends, in your home or with your classmates, you can download your SmileyPancake_Fundraising_Pack now.
How to get started
Getting started couldn’t be simpler – just follow these few easy steps
1. Where & When: Choose a time that suits you, your pals and your venue! If your fundraiser is virtual, set up a Zoom link, Facebook page, Whatsapp group or other messaging platform to be able to share pictures or videos of your Smiley Pancake creations!
2. Spread the word: Invite as many people as you can to your virtual event! Use the posters included, share your event on social media or, if in work, on internal networks… the more the merrier!
3. Get your toppings sorted: You can keep it simple or go to town! A jar of Nutella or peanut butter and a selection of berries, bananas, sweets, marshmallows will see you through.
4. Pancake time: You can make your own or buy them in. All supermarkets sell them in packets and they are just as yummy
5. Let the smiling begin!: The only rule at your event is to have fun! Encourage everyone to get creative with their smiles. Why not have a contest for the pancake with the best smile! Or even a pancake flipping contest. And most importantly, don’t forget to smile and connect with your friends.
6. Start fundraising: You can donate €4 by texting MHI to 50300. If you have a collection bucket you can pop your donation in there. You can also give using the sponsorship form attached or online at www.mentalhealthireland.ie/donate
7. Tell us about your event: Get in touch with us at email@example.com and don’t forget to add the hashtag #smileypancake to the pictures you share on social media!
Smiley Pancake Facts!
Did you know…
- A simple smile can boost our mood and creates a sense of wellbeing, releasing happy hormones such as serotonin and dopamine.
- Smiling induces more pleasure in the brain than eating chocolate! One smile can generate the same level of brain stimulation as up to 2,000 bars of chocolate!
- Smiling is contagious, and passing on positivity can increase feelings of wellbeing, boost our self-esteem and confidence and improve social connectivity during times of disconnection in personal life and our environments.
- Smiling can protect our overall health. It can reduce blood pressure and boost our immune system. Furthermore, laughter and positive thoughts release signalling molecules in our brain that can fight stress.
To hear more, get in touch with us by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org