Need Help Now

Where to go if you have a Mental Health Difficulty

Your family doctor is usually the first person to approach in relation to mental health concerns. Many people attend their General Practitioner (GP) when they feel they need more support for their mental health. In an emergency situation, and outside of GP hours, it is advised to attend your local accident and emergency department in your local hospital.

How to access your local Mental Health Services

Your GP

Your GP may provide you direct support or refer you on to community mental health services. You can search for your nearest GP through this list

Accident and Emergency Departments

In the event of an emergency situation or crisis and when your GP is not available you can access support through your local Accident and emergency department. You can search for your nearest Accident and emergency department through this list

Counselling and Psychotherapy Services

A list of accredited counsellors and psychotherapists throughout Ireland may be found on the Irish Association for Counselling & Psychotherapy

Help Lines

There are a number of help lines that provide relating to particular issues or at times of crisis. You can find a list of helplines here.

For Further Support Contact The Samaritans

Samaritans is a unique charity dedicated to reducing feelings of isolation and disconnection that can lead to suicide. Every six seconds they respond to a call for help. They’re there 24/7, before, during and after a crisis and they make sure there’s always someone there, for anyone who needs someone.

HSE Services that may be accessed through your GP

Your GP can provide support directly or refer you to HSE community mental health team. The HSE provide community mental health services for all ages and services including child and adolescent mental health services, adult mental health services, and psychiatry of later life services.

What happens after referral to a community mental health team?

You will be given an opportunity to meet with a mental health professional, usually a psychiatrist who will assess your needs. Waiting times may vary depending on where you live. Treatment may include services that are based in the community (out-patient care) or hospital based services (in-patient care). Mental health professionals such as psychiatrists, psychologists, mental health nurses, family therapists, social care workers, child care workers, speech and language therapists; and occupational therapists are included in the HSE community mental health team.

The Community Mental Health Team aims to treat a person in their own home and community where possible. Community mental health teams provide services in out-patient clinics, day hospitals and day centres. All communities also have a mental health unit where people who require in-patient treatment are cared for. Most in-patient services are within general hospitals. Admissions are usually of a short duration and most people go to hospital by choice. A small number of people may be ‘involuntarily detained’ in a mental health services. The Mental Health Act 2001 sets out provisions and principles that apply to anyone who is admitted involuntarily. A guide to the Mental Health Act may be found on the Mental Health Commission website.

For more details on mental health services provided by the HSE please see

Your Mental Health