Are you interested in joining our team?
We currently have one position open
- Peer Education and Development Officer – Dublin
Position Title: Peer Educator and Development Officer (0.5 WTE)
Reports to: CEO Mental Health Ireland with supervision from National Forensic Mental Health Service Reform Project Lead.
Location: Central Mental Hospital, Dublin
The National Forensic Mental Health Service (NFMHS) is a national tertiary mental health service and an integral part of the Health Service Executive’s Mental Health Division. The NFMHS is the only forensic mental health service for the population of Ireland. It works with local mental health services and prisons in every part of the country. Treatment programmes are provided in accordance with a specialised model of care in order to optimise recovery.
The NFMHS is partnering with Mental Health Ireland to develop and deliver Advancing Recovery in Ireland peer education services. This aims to introduce an educational approach to recovery in mental health through the development of modules which will be delivered within the NFMHS recovery college.
Mental Health Ireland, in association with HSE and National Forensic Mental Health Service is recruiting for a Peer Education & Development Officer to lead and co-manage the development and delivery of the recovery college.
Applicants will have a strong and demonstrable commitment to recovery informed by lived mental health experience and 2 years experience working in a relevant field or equivalent experience. The successful candidate must demonstrate:
· Personal experience of mental health difficulties
A track record and demonstrable competence in the support and development of projects and new initiatives that promote positive mental health.
Experience of group facilitation or similar engagement process with service users and family members as relevant to this role.
Experience of working collaboratively with internal and external stakeholders as relevant to this role.
Insight and awareness of issues relating to Forensic Mental Health Services especially as relevant to recovery processes and approaches in this area.
This position is a 0.5 WTE, 12 month fixed term specific contract post based at the Central Mental Hospital in Dublin. Please forward a CV and letter of application to firstname.lastname@example.org
Interviews will be held week commencing 6th May and shortlisting may apply.
Closing date for applications is Tuesday 23rd April at 5pm.
The successful candidate will be expected to have:
- A strong and demonstrable commitment to recovery informed by lived mental health experience
- A track record and demonstrable competence in the support and development of projects and new initiatives that promote positive mental health.
- Experience of group facilitation or similar engagement process with service users and family members as relevant to this role.
- Experience of working collaboratively with internal and external stakeholders as relevant to this role.
- Insight and awareness of issues relating to Forensic Mental Health Services especially as relevant to recovery processes and approaches in this area.
- A relevant qualification in training, facilitation, coaching, mentoring or proven relevant experience.
- Previous experience in service development initiatives.
- Proven voluntary/paid experience of project management and community development initiatives.
- Lived experience or knowledge of Forensic Mental Health Service.
- An understanding of recovery in mental health.
- An understanding of the role of education in mental health recovery.
- Demonstrate an understanding of approaches to adult education and training.
- Experience of training design and producing resource materials.
- Experience of delivery of training.
- Ability to work co-operatively as part of a team.
- Good administration skills.
- Capacity to work on own initiative and seek support as required.
- IT Skills.
- Ability to lead and support a team of facilitators.
Planning and Organising
- Possess the necessary organisational and planning skills to ensure available sources are optimised in achieving the aims of the project.
- Good organisational and planning skills.
- Excellent time management skills.
- Ability to strategise, prioritise and schedule activities to ensure achievement of project objectives in the short and long term.
- Project management experience.
Communication and Interpersonal Skills
- Demonstrate excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
- Ability to foster positive working relationships with stakeholder groups and partner organisations.
- Effective presentation and facilitation skills.
- Motivation and an innovative approach to the job.
- The ability to present information clearly, concisely and confidently when speaking and in writing, tailoring to meet the needs of the audience.
- The ability to interact in a professional manner with other staff and key stakeholders.
- Commitment to a Quality Service
- Confidence and competence in public speaking.
- The ability to use a broad range of education techniques.
- The ability to meaningfully evaluate the benefits of recovery education in mental health.
The Peer Education and Development Officer will work collaboratively with the Service Reform Project Lead to:
– Deliver the key milestones of the service plan.
– Create a greater public awareness of personal experience of recovery.
– Develop community partnerships that will be recovery based.
The Peer Education and Development Officer will work with the Education, Training and Development Officer and the Service Improvement Team group to deliver on the aims and objectives of the service to:
– Work collaboratively with the Education, Training and Development Officer to ensure the success of the recovery education.
– Work with the Education, Training and Development Officer to develop a series of recovery education modules.
– Embed recovery values in all educational resources developed from the perspective of lived experience.
– Establish a protocol for the support and mentoring of recovery education facilitators.
– Lead on the design and implementation of co-production and co-presentation strategies for all recovery education modules developed under the project.
– Encourage and motivate recovery education facilitators from among servicer user and family member stakeholder groups.
– Identify training needs of potential co facilitators and co-ordinate the delivery of training accordingly.
– Act as lead on the co-production of recovery training modules to be delivered as agreed with Service Reform Project Lead.
– Attend meetings as appropriate.
– Build supportive relationships with service users, family members and staff working collaboratively with the project.
– Co-produce and co deliver training modules to the identified partner organisations.
– Work in partnership with the Service Improvement steering group
– Operate within all the policies, procedures and guidelines as stipulated by the employing board.
– Be flexible regarding working hours in line with the needs of the project
The above Job Description is not intended to be a comprehensive list of all duties involved and consequently, the post holder may be required to perform other duties as appropriate to the post which may be assigned to him/her from time to time and to contribute to the development of the post while in office.
Conditions of employment
The purpose of the post is to manage, develop and deliver the recovery education service in the National Forensic Mental Health Service Recovery College, as it pertains to the terms and conditions of the SRF funding.
This position is a 12 month specific purpose contract 0.5 WTE. Salary HSE GRADE IV .
Please forward a CV and covering letter of application to email@example.com
Closing date for applications is Wednesday April 23rd 2019 at 5pm.
Interviews will be held week commencing 6th May. Shortlisting may apply.
Applicants will be short listed for interview based on the information supplied on their CV and letter of application at the closing date.
Criteria for short listing is based on the requirements of the post as outlined in the post specific requirements, duties, skills, competencies and/or knowledge section of this job specification.
Please click on the apply now button below and send your CV and a cover letter to apply for the role.